Organic Chemistry Lab
Organic Chemistry Lab
Semi-volatile componds are mainly studied in the organic chemistry lab. Samples analytical processes are split according to the expected concentrations. For example samples coming from remote areas (expected low concentration) are analyzed in a different way respect to the samples coming from industrial areas (expected high concentrations).
- In the Organic Preparative Lab (LOP) samples (containing high concentrations of analites) are extracted, purified and finally enriched in the organic preparative lab to permit the instrumental evaluations. Moreover sample (water, sediments, soil, atmospheric particulate, etc) preparation for the analysis of organic components is carried out according to the standard protocols (CEN, ISO, EPA, CNR-IRSA, ISS). The determination of organic compounds such as IPA, N-IPA, PCT, organochlorine pesticides, phenols, carbonyl compounds, polychlorinated dibenzo-dioxins (PCDDs) and polychlorinated dibenzo-furans (PCDFs). The lab is provided with glassware and all needed equipment thus avoiding any sample contamination.
In the Trace Preparative Lab samples (containing low concentrations of analites) are extracted, purified and finally enriched In trace preparative lab to permit the instrumental evaluations. The lab is provided with glassware and all needed equipment thus avoiding any sample contamination.
- Measuring equipment: after treatment in preparative labs, samples are analyzed Organic Analysis Laboratory, equipped with instrumentation suitable to determine organic compounds by means of gas and liquid chromatography (GC, HPLC). These instruments are mainly coupled with mass spectrometers (MS) thus permitting a quantitative and qualitative analysis of most of the organic compounds.
Inorganic Chemistry Lab
Inorganic Chemistry Lab
- Preliminary treatment of different kinds of samples (water, sediments, soil, atmospheric particulate, etc) are carried out according to standard protocols (CEN, ISO, EPA, CNR-IRSA, etc.), prior to the determination of heavy metal concentrations, ionic composition, etc. After preparation samples are sent to the appropriate instrumental laboratory in order to perform the required analyses.
- In the spectroscopy laboratory pre-treated samples are analysed for metals of interest according to standard protocols (CEN, ISO, EPA, CNR-IRSA, ISS).
- In the Ionic Chromatography HPLC laboratory pre-treated samples are analysed for metals of interest according to standard protocols (CEN, ISO, EPA, CNR-IRSA, ISS).
- The laboratory dedicated to VOCs consists of a clean environment where concentrations of chemical compounds are as low as possible thus avoiding any sort of contamination and permitting trace VOC analysis. Furnishing and equipment are selected in order to avoid any VOC emitting surface and the indoor environment is purified by means of abatement systems; indoor air quality is regularly analyzed to evaluate any sort of contamination.
- VOCs sampled by means of different devices are analized in laboratory for VOCs analysis, equipped with the suitable instrumentation such as gas and liquid chromatographers. These are mainly coupled with mass spectrometers thus permitting a high sensitivity qualitative and quantitative analysis of most of the VOCs. It possible to analyze both gas phase and solid phase adsorbed samples.
- In the lab Sampling systems are developed and implemented. Also standard atmospheres are prepared to permit analytical systems calibration.
In the lab the assessment of metals in different elements (atmosphere, water, soil, industrial emissions) is performed. A particular analysis have been carried out regardin etals contained in particulate matter.
In the Preparative Metals Labo environmental samples are treated according to the former matrix (water, soils, industrial emissions, ambient air). For the analysis in optical spectroscopy, mass spectroscopy or ion polarography, the samples are brought to the liquid state through acid attack or mineralization. For XRF analysis, the samples may be analyzed as such or have to be ground in order to obtain a tablet constituted by homogeneous particulate .
- In the lab for metals analysis samples are analyzed as collected or previously treated in preparative lab. More than 70 elements of the periodic table are assessed. The institute is salso setting up a clean room class 100 to perform the analysis of ultra-trace metals.
Lab for Mercury Speciation in Air, Water and Sediment
- The mercury speciation laboratory has analysers for the various chemical species of mercury found in air, water and sediments.
- The laboratory has instruments to determine ultra-trace levels of mercury compunds in surface and deep water samples and also in sediment samples.
ICP – MS Lab
- In the ICP-MS laboratory trace element analysis of samples in various matrices (water, sediments, soil, atmospheric aerosol etc.) are performed.
- In the lab it is possible to perform the optical analysis of various structures. In particular the Institute is working on the characterization of airborne particulate matter.
Samples phisical treatment
Laboratorio trattamento fisico campioni
In the lab all physical treatments required for the analytical assessment are performed. Analysis of total organic and elemental carbon are also carried out through two different methods based on CO2 determination:
- Chemical OxidationThe first one is based on Catalytic transformation of CO2 into methane followed by determination by means of flam ionization detector (FID). The second one consist of the direct determination of CO2 by means of an infrared detector
Gravimetry – filters conditioning
In the lab samples (for example particulate matter filters) or reference materials (chemical standards) are weighted; also calibration of various instruments are carried out (volumetric meters etc.). The lab consists of a box characterized by controlled RH and temperature containing cupboards.
- The laboratory for the analysis of particulate matter is equipped with instruments for filter treatment to determine PM2.5 and PM10. The laboratory is temperature and humidity controlled, filters used for sampling are pre-conditioned in the laboratory under strictly controlled conditions.
In the Calibration lab periodical tests are performed on automatic gas analyzers by means of standard atmospheres created to have a known concentration using certified gas cylinders and multipoint dilution systems. Also certified mass flow meters are used to calibrate the flow rate of PM and gas sampling systems. Certified weight sets are used to calibrate analytical balances.
Il laboratorio è attrezzato con strumentazione per lo studio del telerilevamento:
Lab is equipped for the study of:
- Hyperspectral Remote Sensing
- Satellite remote Sensing
- Dark Room